Thursday, November 17, 2011

5 is the norm

Theres this on going of bittersweetness that I've been feeling for the past two years. I'd say more of a bitter now than of sweet just because as times crunching and moneys wasting, I still can't get some of the classes that I need to get me out of this school that we call "college". What gets me the most is when people who are so judgmental towards the students who take over four years to graduate. Its one thing to understand that some may not have their things together and another thing to understand that for some of us, we don't want or choose to be here for over 4 years. But because we ended up being part of the horrible california budget crisis, we're stuck here without being able to get any classes or barely getting any classes to graduate within the four years. 5 years is the NORM for graduating on time, and for those of you to not have to deal with it every semester...praying, hoping, and losing sleep every semester near registration time, is something you'd have to shut your mouth, understand, and have a more positive attitude towards our struggles.

It has gotten to be the biggest pet peeve where people have come up to me every week asking me, when are you graduating and as I tell them some time between the next year and half, they give me this dirty look like i've been slacking off and it gives them something to look down on me for. If only they knew and understood what state students go through DYING to get these classes. No one wants to be in that stage of knowledge knowing that they WANT to be in college for over 4 years, even though its way more fun than the real world. And no one definitely wants to drop way over 2 g's every semester pretty much donating to the crisis. If only the people would understand that we do try and its not a guaranteed four year degree. And of everyone to understand, I wish my parents would be the first ones to see that I have been trying, that I am trying and that i am not trying to prolong my graduation because I'm in love with the thought of college and living the college life, but its really because of the damn crisis of getting the classes that ARENT being offered at the same time.


"It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. Do not mistake activity for achievement." -Mabel Newcomber




No comments: